Housing Grants for Disabled Vets
Servicemembers and veterans with certain service-connected disabilities can receive assistance from the VA when they plan on purchasing or constructing a new home, or modifying an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grants are available and although they are similar, the Specially Adapted Housing grants requires that the home be owned by the disabled veteran or servicemember whereas the Special Housing Adaptation permits the home to be owned by a family member.
Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant
The Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant helps veterans with certain service connected disabilities adapt or purchase a home. You may be eligible to use an SHA grant in one of the following ways:
- Adapt an existing home the Veteran or family member owns, if the veteran lives there
- Adapt a home the veteran or a family member intends to purchase, if the veteran intends to live there
- Help a veteran purchase a home already adapted for their needs
Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Program
The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) program offers specialty grants to servicemembers and veterans who have a permanent and total service-connected disability and need to build, remodel or purchase an adapted home.
The SAH can help veterans live in a barrier-free environment and afford a level of independent living that they may not otherwise enjoy. Some of the ways a SAH grant may be used include:
- Constructing a specially-adapted home
- Building a home on land already owned if it is suitable for SAH
- Remodeling an existing home if it is suitable
- Applying the grant against the unpaid balance of an adapted home that was acquired without the assistance of a VA grant
If you are a servicemember or veteran with a permanent and total disability, you may be entitled to either of these grants. The maximum dollar amount allowable can vary from year to year. Additionally, the grant may be used within the United States or in a country where it is permissible for individuals to have or acquire a beneficial property interest.
Find out more about the VA's Adapted Housing Grants on their website.